Skip to main content

Interview with Pan-Amerikan Native Front

War is coming! Pan-Amerikan Native Front is among the fierce bands who lead the charge of indigenous black metal in the Americas. This group is fronted by its enigmatic chief, Kurator of War. Their 2016 full length Tecumseh's War beats like a war club through the life and conflict of its namesake. Earlier this year, Pan-Amerikan Native Front released the Native Amerikan Black Metal split with the Ifernach, which is already sold out of of vinyls their bandcamp. Behold this interview I conducted with Kurator Of War. 

Tecumseh's War was inspired by the life of Tecumseh, and it's a blistering musical journey. What was your inspiration for the Native Amerikan Black Metal split, lyrically, thematically and musically?
The split album continued to retain a conceptual and storytelling approach, much like Tecumseh's War, and with a similar range of songwriting styles I implemented with the previous album. When Ifernach and I began focusing on themes we naturally landed on the idea of legends and old stories, this is where it began.  We offer a view into this world through the excellent album art, a journey through metaphysical and spiritual dimensions, Musically, lots of rhythmic drive to the songs, I'm a fan of using down-picking power chords liberally in black metal which gives it somewhat of that old school rock and roll feel.


Who are some of your heavy metal heroes?
Suffocation is one of my top bands of all time. They were the first band I encountered in my youth that really energized my passion for heavy music and simply just blown away at their musicianship. To see Terrance and Mike, as black musicians, rip through some of the most brutal songs I've heard at the time was impactful. As a young person of color, it was very inspiring. This must have been around 2004, shortly after they announced their reunion. It was an exciting time! Subsequently, my first metal concert was when I got to see them and Behemoth in Chicago in February of 2005. 
How did your musical evolution progress to become a one-man band? Did you start off an a certain instrument and learn the others? 
The passion for indigenous history and black metal led me to go solo. Before PNF, I was on and off with a local black metal band here in Chicago, I've had opportunities to contribute but I yearned for more. It was a long road to starting this project and producing Tecumseh's War. I started teaching myself guitar in my youth, and by far not a master at the instrument. But I do enjoy guitar playing very much. I don't drum, that's outsourced, but I write everything. There is a powerful appeal to having total creative control and reaping the rewards.

Tell me about an album (or albums) that holds a special place in your heart. 
One of my favorite albums of all time is "Brave Murder Day" by Katatonia. One of the first songs I learned on guitar from beginning to end was "12." The emotional output, the mood, the texture, the melancholy, and Akerfeldt's powerful vocals, everything about it was a personal masterpiece for me. I can return to that album and feel the same way every time.

I see PANF also has a live incarnation for concerts. Tell me about the live experience of seeing your band?

Live performances are an invitation to those witnessing, to prepare for war! The project has a full live band, two guitars, bass and drums. My intent with the concert experience is to deliver at a maximum level, compromise nothing. We only have one shot that night and then it's over. I wear everything you see in promo pictures, the full regalia and heavy bullet bands I wear over my chest. Some of the riffs you can really move around to. When we played Winnipeg, it was very satisfying to see a lot of moshing during the set!

What's your favorite song on the new split, and why?
That's a tough one, but I'll go with "Blazing Winds of the Three Fires." Not to sound too cliche, but it's simply a fun song to play and listen to.

Are there any other indigenous bands you enjoy? Or organizations you recommend supporting?
I strongly encourage checking out Yaotl Mictlan from Utah who are releasing a new full length album after 10 years since their last one. True veterans of indigenous black metal warfare! I would also like to mention Ahkqueth, based in Winnipeg. Another indigenous black metal solo project I've had the pleasure of connecting with in this growing community. 

What's been on your playlist lately?
The shorter days and colder weather always puts me in new wave/post punk soundscapes, been enjoying This Cold Night, TR/ST, Ritual Howls, Twin Tribes, etc. Hits the spot!

What's your favorite "cult" band or album?
There are close to a dozen "Nazgul" bands, but the one from Italy has one of the most unique approaches to black metal. In the mid-2000s, I had to make sure I got a copy of their album "De Expugnatione Elfmuth" so I bought a CD copy from a Russian label. Not many metalheads I know are aware of this project, lyrics are entirely in Latin, the symphonic and folky elements are layered so effectively. Truly an underground gem!

What else is on the horizon for you?
This year 2020 has definitely been the busiest year I've had with PNF, nearing the end of the calendar year has brought a major announcement for the next full length album titled "Little Turtle's War." Additionally, "Tecumseh's War" will be repressed on vinyl sometime in 2021, on cassette it was reissued recently by via Les Fleurs Du Mal. For performances, I am scheduled to perform at the inaugural Gathering of the Eagle and Condor on the eve of Indigenous People's Day 2021. This fest will be an incredible experience! Lastly, the next release following the new full length album will be another split album this time with Kommodus. Very excited for this one.

Thank you for going one on one with the Grim-1. What are your final words?
The indigenous black metal stampede continues in 2021, east and west of the Mississippi River. Take notice!

Listen to Pan-Amerikan Native Front here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OG Blasphemy: An interview with Profanatica's Paul Ledney

Profanatica is widely recognized as the first United States black metal band. Building on the foundation set forth by Venom and Hellhammer, Profanatica has spewed a rambunctious attack on all that is holy since 1990. Their antics on and off stage gained the same notoriety as their hellish music. While their European counterparts posed for photographs with candelabras and swords, Profanatica did photos with blood dripping from their limp dicks. Grainy VHS from the early 90s interviews show them giggling as they rip pages out of a bible and eat them. In many ways, Profanatica is one of the metal bands to become a meme. The recordings of what was to become their first album was destroyed by spiteful band mates before it was ever released in 1990 - read on to find out more about that fateful event. It was nearly two decades later that Profanatica birthed their first full length  Profanatitas De Domanatias in 2007. Rotting Incarnation Of God  is Profanatica's upcoming full length,

215 OR DIE: An interview with Sonja's Melissa Moore

Melissa Moore is a Philadelphia-based guitarist who currently leads the classic metal band Sonja. Previously, she's shredded on ax duty in bands like Rumplestiltskin Grinder and Absu. Moore also runs Toxic Femme, a clothing and apparel company that brings light to trans, non-binary and LGBT+ people via heavy metal fashion. On the musical front, Sonja released a promising two-song digital album  Nylon Nights/Wanting Me Dead  last year, which will win over fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I present to you, a dark transmission with the voice of Sonja, Melissa Moore.  Hell-O Melissa (in my best King Diamond voice). How the hell are YOU? Not bad. Thank you for realizing the Mercyful Fate reference in my name. How do you describe the musical experience that is Sonja, in your own words? What can someone expect at a Sonja concert?   Trans femme fronted dark heavy metal that wishes it was death rock. If Lana Del Rey was the singer of Manowar, I think it would be si