Skip to main content

Interview With Takafumi Matsbubara of Formless Master

If you crave martial arts and grindcore insanity, have I got the band for you. Formless Master is a new project from Japanese guitarist Takafumi Matsubara (GridLink), in collaboration with members from US grindcore bands Deterioration and Invidiosus. These freaks call themselves black belts in Karate Grindcore, and hot damn, this stuff hits hard. Their debut First Strike pummels like a thousand round house kicks to the skull. The only moment it relents are at the opening of each song, as they tend to begin with a martial arts movie sample similar to Mortician and Wu Tang Clan. First Strike mashes primitive screams and growls with ludicrously fast blast beats. Matsubara's riff style is equally discordant and innovative, he unleashes the shred over each cacophony.


Hell-o Takafumi! How are you?
Hi!! I’m fine. Thanks for giving me a chance to talk about Formless Master

What's your favorite song on the new Formless Master album?
Of course, "First Strike." Because it is the first song I wrote for this band. I really concentrated to change the way to write songs and make my own goregrind. 

You're based in Japan, and your band mates are in the states. What is the creative process like, when your band mates are in another continent?  
Gridlink was the same situation. I get used to this situation. 
Now everyone can make music with musicians live abroad. That is so easy.  But it is very difficult for PC musicians to make organic music. 

I needed to know about members playing style. I listened to Invidiosus and watched movies again and again. After understanding them, I started to write songs. 

Recording was so hard. Because we had many things to do. 
I went to Minnesota and recorded 4 songs a few month ago. That was so interesting and so easy. We can use both recording style. I think it makes our music more interesting. 
What do you consider to be the heaviest riff of all time?
BPM. Just a joke. I don’t consider the heaviness so much. 
Love for grindcore, anger and passion make riffs heavy and fast. I think so. 

What's your favorite martial arts film? Why?
Old Kyokushin karate movies. Because they are strange and strong. 
I watched Willie Williams versus a bear when I was a child. I have believed it was real fight. 


What's your favorite  on screen death in a film?
Mist last scene.

What's your favorite film, in general?
Ummm.. I am not a serious movie fan...I love old Japanese horror movies. Oh, I loved The Blair Witch Project. I really want to visit the woods in Maryland.

Is playing through a tiny guitar amp your secret for that nasty guitar tone? 
Haha. I used to use it. But now I use quilter guitar and bass amps. They are smaller than lunchbox. My current guitar tone is made by Unknown Pedal Australia distortions. 

Do you play fighting video games? If so, which is your favorite character to play as? I'm a sucker for the original Mortal Kombat Trilogy. 
I used to do. Though I am weak, I prefer real fight.

Who are some bands you've been excited to listen to lately?
Deterioration, Die Choking, Exposed As Rot, Vulva Essers, Shitbrains, Happy Pill Trauma, Chepang, Triac..... sooo many bands. All of my friends band. 

As for Formless Master, Absurd God and Libido Airbag gave me some influence. 

Who are your guitar heroes? 
Mick Mars. So heavy.
Jeff Beck. So progressive. 
Chuck Schuldiner. So cool.
Rocky George. So Metal. 
Sooo many heroes. 

What else  are you excited for in the future? 
Sparring, practice, recording and live shows.

Thank you Takafumi for going one on one with the Grim-1. Anything you would like to say in closing?
Tortoiseshell cats are so cute. 

Listen to Formless Master via HPGD Productions here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OG Blasphemy: An interview with Profanatica's Paul Ledney

Profanatica is widely recognized as the first United States black metal band. Building on the foundation set forth by Venom and Hellhammer, Profanatica has spewed a rambunctious attack on all that is holy since 1990. Their antics on and off stage gained the same notoriety as their hellish music. While their European counterparts posed for photographs with candelabras and swords, Profanatica did photos with blood dripping from their limp dicks. Grainy VHS from the early 90s interviews show them giggling as they rip pages out of a bible and eat them. In many ways, Profanatica is one of the metal bands to become a meme. The recordings of what was to become their first album was destroyed by spiteful band mates before it was ever released in 1990 - read on to find out more about that fateful event. It was nearly two decades later that Profanatica birthed their first full length  Profanatitas De Domanatias in 2007. Rotting Incarnation Of God  is Profanatica's upcoming full length,

Interview with Pan-Amerikan Native Front

War is coming! Pan-Amerikan Native Front is among the fierce bands who lead the charge of in digenous black metal in the Americas. This group is fronted by its enigmatic chief, Kurator of War. Their 2016 full length Tecumseh's War  beats like a war club through the life and conflict of its namesake. Earlier this year, Pan-Amerikan Native Front released the Native Amerikan Black Metal split w ith the Ifernach, which is already sold out of of vinyls their bandcamp . Behold this interview I conducted with Kurator Of War.  Tecumseh's War was inspired by the life of Tecumseh, and it's a blistering musical journey. What was your inspiration for the Native Amerikan Black Metal split, lyrically, thematically and musically? The split album continued to retain a conceptual and storytelling approach, much like Tecumseh's War, and with a similar range of songwriting styles I implemented with the previous album. When Ifernach and I began focusing on themes we naturally landed on the

215 OR DIE: An interview with Sonja's Melissa Moore

Melissa Moore is a Philadelphia-based guitarist who currently leads the classic metal band Sonja. Previously, she's shredded on ax duty in bands like Rumplestiltskin Grinder and Absu. Moore also runs Toxic Femme, a clothing and apparel company that brings light to trans, non-binary and LGBT+ people via heavy metal fashion. On the musical front, Sonja released a promising two-song digital album  Nylon Nights/Wanting Me Dead  last year, which will win over fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I present to you, a dark transmission with the voice of Sonja, Melissa Moore.  Hell-O Melissa (in my best King Diamond voice). How the hell are YOU? Not bad. Thank you for realizing the Mercyful Fate reference in my name. How do you describe the musical experience that is Sonja, in your own words? What can someone expect at a Sonja concert?   Trans femme fronted dark heavy metal that wishes it was death rock. If Lana Del Rey was the singer of Manowar, I think it would be si