Skip to main content

Interview with Mr. Sarcophagus of DRAINBOW

Mr. Sarcophagus of DRAINBOW hails from Austin, Texas. 

DRAINBOW is a band one will struggle to define. Definitely progressive, with enough artistic flourish, clean vocals and synthesizer interlude to be avant garde, but without the pretentious fluff. And of course, Drainbow is filled to the brim with guitar sorcery. Imagine if a wizard fused the spaciness of Voivod with King Crimson's weirdness, and a few generous helpings of System Of A Down's pop sensibilities. Drainbow's genre-twisting new album 
Towers Of Flints impressively meshes everything from prog rock, to electronic music and death metal into one cohesive, and definitely epic musical adventure across its ever-shifting sonic profile. 

Drainbow is led by the overmind known as Mr. Sarcophagus, who I recently interviewed via email below. 

 So your Tower Of Flints album is all over the place. How did this music cum to be?
I looked at this album as an anthology. Each song is has a strong theme and stands alone as a complete piece. I wanted to craft metal songs that balanced the need to SHRED and SHRIEK with conveying a unique perspective, mood, and story. As much a vehicle to guide the creative process as an artistic choice, I don't think I could have done this all by myself if I just had to write the most bad ass guitar riff I could dream up and then top it several times in the same song...I needed that backbone of narrative on which to graft sinew and FLESH and BLOOD to create something that had any vitality at all to me. My interests are diverse and current, new shit I'm listening to infects my writing process, and my aesthetic is pretty diverse and fragmented, so lucky me, I don't have to try real hard to come up with something vaguely original, I have no choice because I'm mostly awful at imitation.


Describe your role in the Drainbow.
Well, I am Drainbow. Mr. Sarcophagus. Publicist, performer, composer, intern, president of the fan club...etc.

Who are your heavy metal heroes?
Kristoffer Rygg for his work with Ulver and Arcturus. Cornelius and Lazarus of Solefald as well, especially around the "Neonism" era. I like quite a bit of the 2nd wave Black Metal, but these two groups really stood apart in their approach to fucking with black metal but creating a sophisticated and intricate product. Anders Nystrom and Jonas Renske are probably my favorite writing duo...they just create great compositions! And then of course King Diamond, Halford for being an all around badass and SEX icon (but also strangely wholesome?), and Mike Patton who Drainbow is often (somewhat unfavorably) compared to. 

The Tower Of Flints is dedicated to a lost friend, according to your bandcamp. What’s their story?
Matt was my best friend through college and until his death in 2006. Matt was a big music appreciator, but not into metal, he was more of a punk rocker and reggae, blues, and hip hop and such. He was just a hurricane of an individual, destructive, powerful, and full of TERRIBLE ENERGY and WILD VISIONS of grandeur...I was always trying to get him to understand and appreciate metal but back then I was exclusively into annoyingly kooky shit so it took until pretty much the last time I ever saw him to get it to click for him- we were headed home after a night on the town in Athens GA and were listening to SOAD's Prison Song at high decibel levels and I distinctly remember the moment it finally broke through for him; and we truly thrashed together for the first time, like brothers. 

Grief is a shared experience for all people as we walk around in our own little flesh coffins- if you know love you will know loss, if not already, then sooner than you expect. I've tried to live my life and make music in a way that he would appreciate- he never had to make all the crapulous compromises that I have made over the years to become a functioning non-alcoholic, relatively un-depressed adult, so in my mind he will always be an idealistic, batshit 26 year old, even as I get older and uglier, more risk averse, more staid. So my memories of him and our time together, being a couple of wild swinging, sensitive dickheads is part of what keeps me motivated and eager to take chances.

What’s one Drainbow song everyone should crank at full volume? 
Callipygian Hunger should not only be  pegged, but ALSO set on repeat!! It's a fucking EPIC and I stand by it as a METAL ANTHEM that should be TAKEN LOUD.




What’s one metal album that holds a special place in your heart?
I'm going to go with the first one that came to mind, Arcturus "La Masquerade Infernale".  I was about 15 when it came out and the scale of it really blew my mind. There were so many sonically innovative textures and enticing compositional details on that album that still sound fresh even today, and having been a BIG fan of "Aspera Hiems Symphonia" and getting "La Masquerade" on basically release day back in '97, it really felt like an artistic evolution for the entirety of the genre, and for me personally it set the bar. 

What’s next for you?
Hoping to put out a single for Halloween collaborating with the, uh, only other person who has ever worked with Drainbow - shoutout to db of Dreamhaunt and RRAAO (and a bunch of other projects)! From there I'm working on writing an EP that I want to be thematically and musically much tighter than previous work, but we'll see how that goes...got a lot of inspiration but few riffs at this point.  I'll also be doing a lot of guitar exercises and tweeting about used guitars, gross sweaty pictures of myself doing yoga, and eventually recruiting live members of Drainbow for the WORLD fuckin' TOUR!!!

Thanks for going one on one with the GRIM1! What are your last words?
Please, if you're reading this, I implore you, support underground metal...every last grubby penny, calloused thumb, bloodshot eyeball, and ringing ear counts!!  The Tower of Flints was made entirely by one dude over the better part of a year in his underwear in his guest bedroom and then mixed and mastered by another dude who I can only assume was also in his underwear in HIS guest bedroom. Right now is the time of people making things out of NOTHING but PURE PASSION in their UNDERWEAR and this is the way that we are dragging THE UNDERGROUND ahead past all the FASHY BLACK METAL AND PROGGY DJENT BULLSHIT and into a  new echelon of creativity and GROWTHS!!

Thanks for having me, oh Necrosexy one. 

Listen to DRAINBOW at their bandcamp here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OG Blasphemy: An interview with Profanatica's Paul Ledney

Profanatica is widely recognized as the first United States black metal band. Building on the foundation set forth by Venom and Hellhammer, Profanatica has spewed a rambunctious attack on all that is holy since 1990. Their antics on and off stage gained the same notoriety as their hellish music. While their European counterparts posed for photographs with candelabras and swords, Profanatica did photos with blood dripping from their limp dicks. Grainy VHS from the early 90s interviews show them giggling as they rip pages out of a bible and eat them. In many ways, Profanatica is one of the metal bands to become a meme. The recordings of what was to become their first album was destroyed by spiteful band mates before it was ever released in 1990 - read on to find out more about that fateful event. It was nearly two decades later that Profanatica birthed their first full length  Profanatitas De Domanatias in 2007. Rotting Incarnation Of God  is Profanatica's upcoming full length,

Interview with Pan-Amerikan Native Front

War is coming! Pan-Amerikan Native Front is among the fierce bands who lead the charge of in digenous black metal in the Americas. This group is fronted by its enigmatic chief, Kurator of War. Their 2016 full length Tecumseh's War  beats like a war club through the life and conflict of its namesake. Earlier this year, Pan-Amerikan Native Front released the Native Amerikan Black Metal split w ith the Ifernach, which is already sold out of of vinyls their bandcamp . Behold this interview I conducted with Kurator Of War.  Tecumseh's War was inspired by the life of Tecumseh, and it's a blistering musical journey. What was your inspiration for the Native Amerikan Black Metal split, lyrically, thematically and musically? The split album continued to retain a conceptual and storytelling approach, much like Tecumseh's War, and with a similar range of songwriting styles I implemented with the previous album. When Ifernach and I began focusing on themes we naturally landed on the

215 OR DIE: An interview with Sonja's Melissa Moore

Melissa Moore is a Philadelphia-based guitarist who currently leads the classic metal band Sonja. Previously, she's shredded on ax duty in bands like Rumplestiltskin Grinder and Absu. Moore also runs Toxic Femme, a clothing and apparel company that brings light to trans, non-binary and LGBT+ people via heavy metal fashion. On the musical front, Sonja released a promising two-song digital album  Nylon Nights/Wanting Me Dead  last year, which will win over fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I present to you, a dark transmission with the voice of Sonja, Melissa Moore.  Hell-O Melissa (in my best King Diamond voice). How the hell are YOU? Not bad. Thank you for realizing the Mercyful Fate reference in my name. How do you describe the musical experience that is Sonja, in your own words? What can someone expect at a Sonja concert?   Trans femme fronted dark heavy metal that wishes it was death rock. If Lana Del Rey was the singer of Manowar, I think it would be si