Skip to main content

Interview with Tomas Lindberg from AT THE GATES

At The Gates return with their new album The Nightmare Of Being, a heavy dose of their iconic Swedish death metal melodies, with neurotic intensity, and several surprising progressive detours. Vocalist and lyricist Tomas Lindberg remains a key part of At The Gates' sound since their formation in 1990. His throaty attack lends the perfect balance of levity and delirium for At The Gates, with lyrics about society, philosophy and all sorts of anger and depression. 

Finally, Tomas Lindberg goes one on one with the GRIM-1:

HELL-O Tomas! What's your favorite song on The Nightmare Of Being and why?
It's so very hard to pick out songs in that way. We're old men now. We write albums. All the songs are sequenced meticulously to fit in the song order. But of course, the things we haven't done before is pretty rewarding to be able to do that and get a good reaction from that. With that i'm talking about Songs like “The fall Into Time,” “Garden of Cyrus,” “Cosmic Pessimism” maybe. Saying that, more like what you first might call, traditional At The Gates songs like “The Paradox,” for example, we couldn't have written that song in the nineties. It's so much more complex. The small details and everything. So I'm pretty proud of all the things on this record actually.

What is your role in the creative process with the lyrical themes and album themes?
It's basically, I kind of give the suggestion for a concept, a theme for this record. But then I always talk it over, mostly with Jonas [Bjorler], who's the main songwriter, and discuss where we want to take this album. Which themes sort of match what emotions musically. And there's a lot of gnarly discussions about that. Where we see it going, does this musical concept fit the musical development on the record and stuff like that. So it's a kind of joint decision, but the idea for the lyrical concepts always come from me.

At The Gates has always been transparent about its literary inspirations. Does that come from you, or from the band as a whole?
It's a lot of both. The whole theme of the record goes into pessimist philosophies. I was working really hard to try to understand that philosophy the best that I could as an amateur, which I sort of am in that perspective. It was fun, on a side note to work with the writer Eugene Thacker on the song “Cosmic Pessimism.” And on that whole album he was responding to my emails, if I was going the right direction on the lyrics and the themes.

What are you reading at the moment?
Now it's summer holiday and the record is done, so I'm reading science fiction and stuff like that. So, you know, stuff to relax a little bit. Even with science fiction, I like the more curveball stuff there where they have a more philosophical touch. The one I'm reading now is called Kraken where it's an underground cultist hiding in London. It's pretty cool, urban fantasy more than science fiction.

What do you consider one of the standout deep cuts from At The Gates' discography?
It's an odd discography because every song sounds different than each other. I feel like you can probably divide it - well it sounds grandiose - but into different eras of the band, different periods of the band. But like the early period going from the start to Slaughter of the Soul, we sort of the saw the band progressing, like to condense the songs more and more. Compressing the songs into more streamlined music. And I guess Slaughter Of The Soul was like the endpoint of that era, because you couldn't compress it any more. But from that era, the second full length With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness is the more underrated one. It has some gems on it. It has of course that really grim production maybe that's hard to get past. But there are some really cool tracks on that one. It's always been there...the progressive stuff. There could have been a saxophone on that one too.

Was it weird after At The Gates broke up to hear so many metalcore and melodic death metal bands ripping off your sound?
You don't have to like all the bands that are inspired by you, but it's flattering even if you don't like the bands listen to your stuff and get influenced by it. I still to this day haven't heard a band who sound like At The Gates, so people must try harder. I think they take one part of the formula and that part they put into their music. Which is how you use your influences I guess. We do too. I haven't heard a band that has all that ingredients at once.

What's the origin of the name “At The Gates?” I've seen some merch that alludes to it coming from the Pink Floyd album Piper At The Gates of Dawn?
We knew about that album of course, but it's actually stolen from Fields Of the Nephilim song. “The Dwellers At The Gates of Silent Memory.” That was the first name of the band. “Let's shorten that down a little bit.” It helped, a little bit.

How has your creative process grown since the nineties, if at all?
I think we are as curious as we were then. That's never changed. We're still really open minded when it comes to adding other stuff into the mix of what At The Gates is. I think the maturity from our age and all the years in the metal scene that we've learned is, we're pretty safe with what At The Gates is now. And because of that, when we write we will sound like At The Gates whenever we do, and because of that we can throw in more curveballs without losing the core elements of at the gates. And that's why you can still recognize that even in songs like “Garden of Cyrus.” And I think that's the maturity in the songwriting department. And with lyrics, they're more theoretically grounded without losing that honesty. So there's been some evolvement.

Especially on Slaughter Of The Soul, it has a big arena rock feel to the song structure. Where did that come from?
We talked a lot about it. We had done a lot of oddball stuff before. Very intricate songs with thousands of riffs before. What had we not done, we had not done a really straight forward verse-chorus record. I think the decision to make the songs shorter and snappier was a joint decision.

Is there a band in the Swedish scene you feel in underrated?
In the metal scene, if you're a Swedish especially death metal band, it's hard to be underrated, because everyone looks forward to a Swedish band to be, to have some sort of quality. So most Swedish bands get the recognition they deserve I guess. There's always been the sort of young bands that pop up and disappear, like Morbus Chron. I was a big fan of them for example. I feel like other examples of music in Sweden like the prog bands may be underrated in the international scene. Bands like Änglagård, Antidote, Dungen, those kind of bands like that are in the underground still even if they're still very cool bands.

What music are you rocking in your personal tape deck lately?
It's a mix. I just bought myself a brand new record player so I've been going through, polishing off the vinyls, playing them again. I've been dusting off a lot of the old metal records. Early eighties, thrash and NWOBHM records I've been digging a lot. A long with a lot of jazz records too. It sort of goes everywhere. It depends on the mood too for the hour.

You mentioned Eugene Thacker's book Cosmic Pessimism as an inspiration for the song. Can you elaborate on that?
Pessimist philosophy – that's the starting point there. I was doing some reading for The Lurking Fear for our new record. The first record was based on the Lovecraft universe. So I wanted to read like a current, up to date horror writers, see what they were doing. I stumbled upon Thomas Ligotti. He's really great writer. But then my bandmate Martin asked if I read his non fiction book The Conspiracy Against The Human Race. That got me started. It was so good. It's kind of like Essay writing, but his introduction is philosophy basically, and he name drops a lot of writers...The most interesting thing I found was that it's not really negative. That kind of threw me off a little bit and I was really intrigued by that. And that part of philosophy can be a lot of self help for us people here.

Is there a vocal performance you're most proud of besides At The Gates?
I always said that the music kind of needs a certain vocal performance. It needs a certain tone. And that's what I find interesting in other projects because you learn something when you do that. With The Lurking Fear I did a sort of classic death metal style which is not too far off from At The Gates. I think the most odd vocals I've done have been The Great Deceiver. That's where I do more like dark indy rock singing in some songs. That was cool to try. There's some stuff there that might intrigue some people.

How do you keep your pipes in shape to deliver the goods, vocally?
It actually gets a bit easier every year because you kind of develop a technique. I've never been to vocal training. I work with myself a lot and kind of figure out a technique that is not so hard on me physically, because I'm not getting any younger either. The trick is to take care of yourself on tour. Not go binge drinking the night before the show anymore. That's not possible. Drink a lot of water and rest. I've developed a monitor in-ear system that really works for me so I can always hear myself. That was usually the problem when I was younger. I couldn't hear the vocals and then I screamed too hard and my voice started cracked.

What's one record that holds a special place in your heart?
There's so many man. I listen to like 20 records a day. It's really hard. Right this moment I've been relistening to some of the earlier eighties stuff, like that. One underrated death metal record is Strappado by Slaughter. That guitar tone is like four years ahead of that Entombed guitar sound. It's like, crushing.

Thank you Tomas Lindberg for going one on one with the GRIM-1. Read my review of At The Gates' new album The Nightmare Of Being via Invisible Oranges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OG Blasphemy: An interview with Profanatica's Paul Ledney

Profanatica is widely recognized as the first United States black metal band. Building on the foundation set forth by Venom and Hellhammer, Profanatica has spewed a rambunctious attack on all that is holy since 1990. Their antics on and off stage gained the same notoriety as their hellish music. While their European counterparts posed for photographs with candelabras and swords, Profanatica did photos with blood dripping from their limp dicks. Grainy VHS from the early 90s interviews show them giggling as they rip pages out of a bible and eat them. In many ways, Profanatica is one of the metal bands to become a meme. The recordings of what was to become their first album was destroyed by spiteful band mates before it was ever released in 1990 - read on to find out more about that fateful event. It was nearly two decades later that Profanatica birthed their first full length  Profanatitas De Domanatias in 2007. Rotting Incarnation Of God  is Profanatica's upcoming full length,

Interview with Pan-Amerikan Native Front

War is coming! Pan-Amerikan Native Front is among the fierce bands who lead the charge of in digenous black metal in the Americas. This group is fronted by its enigmatic chief, Kurator of War. Their 2016 full length Tecumseh's War  beats like a war club through the life and conflict of its namesake. Earlier this year, Pan-Amerikan Native Front released the Native Amerikan Black Metal split w ith the Ifernach, which is already sold out of of vinyls their bandcamp . Behold this interview I conducted with Kurator Of War.  Tecumseh's War was inspired by the life of Tecumseh, and it's a blistering musical journey. What was your inspiration for the Native Amerikan Black Metal split, lyrically, thematically and musically? The split album continued to retain a conceptual and storytelling approach, much like Tecumseh's War, and with a similar range of songwriting styles I implemented with the previous album. When Ifernach and I began focusing on themes we naturally landed on the

215 OR DIE: An interview with Sonja's Melissa Moore

Melissa Moore is a Philadelphia-based guitarist who currently leads the classic metal band Sonja. Previously, she's shredded on ax duty in bands like Rumplestiltskin Grinder and Absu. Moore also runs Toxic Femme, a clothing and apparel company that brings light to trans, non-binary and LGBT+ people via heavy metal fashion. On the musical front, Sonja released a promising two-song digital album  Nylon Nights/Wanting Me Dead  last year, which will win over fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I present to you, a dark transmission with the voice of Sonja, Melissa Moore.  Hell-O Melissa (in my best King Diamond voice). How the hell are YOU? Not bad. Thank you for realizing the Mercyful Fate reference in my name. How do you describe the musical experience that is Sonja, in your own words? What can someone expect at a Sonja concert?   Trans femme fronted dark heavy metal that wishes it was death rock. If Lana Del Rey was the singer of Manowar, I think it would be si