Skip to main content

Interview with Kayla Dixon from Witch Mountain and Dress The Dead


Photo by Derek Carr




Kayla Dixon is a true triple threat. As the mouthpiece of doom veterans Witch Mountain and Dress the Dead, she commands a powerful voice that is both sultry and sinister. And when she's not on stage rocking out with her bands, she's still on stage, performing as a professional actor and a dancer. It's my grim pleasure to share this interview with Kayla Dixon, a renaissance rocker and a fiery front woman, on the eve of Witch Mountain's tour with Corrosion of Conformity this September.

HELL-O Kayla! How's life?Life is fantastic, thanks for asking! 


You've got an upcoming tour with Corrosion of Conformity in September. What can headbangers expect to experience when they see you on the road? 

They can expect to have their souls snatched, haha. No but seriously, Witch Mountain has always been the kind of band to pummel people with heavy doom riffs and insane solos so expect nothing less than the usual.
 


For longer tours where you use your voice every night for days in a row, how do you maintain and care for your pipes?

 I have a very specific and very involved process that I go through as a result of my own findings as well as advice from my ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat doctor) and my own experience being a voice teacher over the years. But, I’ll try to break it down in an understandable way.
1. I keep my vocal cords lubricated.

2. I do breathing exercises and cardio to maintain my lung capacity and increase my stamina.

3.I warm up vocally every morning and do a short warm up 5 min, before the show.
4. I sleep whenever and wherever I can.5. I avoid coffee, alcohol and smoke of all kinds.

How did you develop your vocal style?

I’ve had the luxury of starting as an actor doing mainly musical theatre and still do that to this day, so I’ve been able to avoid trying to develop a specific vocal style. Which I think has, ironically, led me to having my own unique sound. Here’s how I think it worked for me: In theatre (specifically non- method acting techniques) you learn to embody a character as yourself and identify yourself with that character. In musical theatre especially there are a log of “dialogue pieces” in which the character is directly addressing the audience and telling story with a lot of words (almost sounding like they’re talking). So we learn early on as musical theatre actors to “sing the way you speak”. I didn’t know any other way of doing it when I first started singing in bands and it’s just carried over. Which is why you don’t notice much of difference between my singing voice and my speaking voice.

You've been Witch Mountain's vocalist for nearly 5 years, joining a band that had been established nearly 20 years prior. How did this alliance come to be?
I was a fan of the band for a bit before joining and it just turned out to be good timing. I saw they were looking for a vocalist and asked if I could audition, and luckily got the gig!


What were you doing prior to joining Witch Mountain?

I was in a death metal band from Cleveland, Ohio called Demons Within. That band has since dissolved, but that experience will always hold a special place in my heart. I was also pursuing a Bachelor of Music degree while majoring in Musical Theatre at a music conservatory. 




You're a professional actor and dancer, outside of your rock star duties. Tell us about your life outside of Witch Mountain?

My life outside of Witch Mountain is sometimes chaotic schedule-wise, but always fun. These days whenever I’m not touring, I’m a working actor. So most times, I go straight from closing a show to leaving for tour and when I come home, I go straight into rehearsals for the next play. I’m also a voice teacher when I have time and like to teach musical theatre to kids whenever I can. 

Name one band that changed your life forever?

Easy. Marilyn Manson. He was my gateway into heavy music at a young age and I still draw inspiration from him to this day.  And If I can break the rules and give two, I’d say Soundgarden. 

 What was the first album to give you a heavy metal hard on? 
I’d say the first full album to do that for me was The Great Cold Distance by Katatonia. Some might not consider that to be “heavy” but I do, so I don’t really care haha.  That also probably gives away my young age. I believe I was in the fifth grade when that one came out.

 Aside from your fall dates, what are you excited about on the horizon? 

I’m actually super excited for a few potential festival opportunities for my other band Dress the Dead next summer.  And for Witch Mountain, just really looking forward to writing another record.

What are some bands you'd like to play with in the future, or play with again?
Oh wow, there are so many. I’ll start with the bands I’d like to play with again. Opening up for Rob Zombie was a dream come true as well as getting the opportunity to tour with Danzig. I’d also never dream of turning down an opportunity to tour with YOB again. And really enjoyed playing with Enslaved. As far as in the future, It’s one of my biggest dreams to open for Marilyn Manson. Also Katatonia, At the Gates, Meshuggah, Judas Priest, Opeth, Amorphis etc.

Tell us about one of the most memorable shows you attended, whether you performed or attended as a spectator?

 I actually remember the first show I ever went to was a Rammstein show. There was this catwalk above the audience that the band was crawling down, some guy totally jumped up and grabbed onto it and started swinging. And at my second show ever, I watched another guy have a drug-induced seizure. Memorable or traumatizing? Not too sure.. It was also a trip going to Halestorm with Robb Flynn and seeing/meeting (almost) all of Judas Priest this past year thanks to my guitar player in Dress the Dead (Craig Locicero, formerly of Forbidden).


Thank YOU for going one on one with the GRIM 1. Anything you'd like to add?

I love all of you! Well, almost all of you anyway. Haha!


 

So there you have it, kids. Keep those vocal chords lubricated, well rested, and lay off the booze and smoke if you want to howl like a glorious banshee. Also, what I would give to have Rammstein be the first concert, instead of Chicago back in 1996. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OG Blasphemy: An interview with Profanatica's Paul Ledney

Profanatica is widely recognized as the first United States black metal band. Building on the foundation set forth by Venom and Hellhammer, Profanatica has spewed a rambunctious attack on all that is holy since 1990. Their antics on and off stage gained the same notoriety as their hellish music. While their European counterparts posed for photographs with candelabras and swords, Profanatica did photos with blood dripping from their limp dicks. Grainy VHS from the early 90s interviews show them giggling as they rip pages out of a bible and eat them. In many ways, Profanatica is one of the metal bands to become a meme. The recordings of what was to become their first album was destroyed by spiteful band mates before it was ever released in 1990 - read on to find out more about that fateful event. It was nearly two decades later that Profanatica birthed their first full length  Profanatitas De Domanatias in 2007. Rotting Incarnation Of God  is Profanatica's upcoming full length,

Interview with Pan-Amerikan Native Front

War is coming! Pan-Amerikan Native Front is among the fierce bands who lead the charge of in digenous black metal in the Americas. This group is fronted by its enigmatic chief, Kurator of War. Their 2016 full length Tecumseh's War  beats like a war club through the life and conflict of its namesake. Earlier this year, Pan-Amerikan Native Front released the Native Amerikan Black Metal split w ith the Ifernach, which is already sold out of of vinyls their bandcamp . Behold this interview I conducted with Kurator Of War.  Tecumseh's War was inspired by the life of Tecumseh, and it's a blistering musical journey. What was your inspiration for the Native Amerikan Black Metal split, lyrically, thematically and musically? The split album continued to retain a conceptual and storytelling approach, much like Tecumseh's War, and with a similar range of songwriting styles I implemented with the previous album. When Ifernach and I began focusing on themes we naturally landed on the

215 OR DIE: An interview with Sonja's Melissa Moore

Melissa Moore is a Philadelphia-based guitarist who currently leads the classic metal band Sonja. Previously, she's shredded on ax duty in bands like Rumplestiltskin Grinder and Absu. Moore also runs Toxic Femme, a clothing and apparel company that brings light to trans, non-binary and LGBT+ people via heavy metal fashion. On the musical front, Sonja released a promising two-song digital album  Nylon Nights/Wanting Me Dead  last year, which will win over fans of Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I present to you, a dark transmission with the voice of Sonja, Melissa Moore.  Hell-O Melissa (in my best King Diamond voice). How the hell are YOU? Not bad. Thank you for realizing the Mercyful Fate reference in my name. How do you describe the musical experience that is Sonja, in your own words? What can someone expect at a Sonja concert?   Trans femme fronted dark heavy metal that wishes it was death rock. If Lana Del Rey was the singer of Manowar, I think it would be si